Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Women's Race 2010

Calgary, Shouldice Park, Aug 29th.

We were right outside Kristi's old back yard (I reconized the KFC at the corner, and then the park we met at years ago for our family reunion...back when the family wasn't quite so big!) OH Kristi - Angie took me to a diner (that was closed both times, dang it) that was right beside the quilting store you used to go to...in that weird cul-de-sac across from a chateau something or other home decorations and really expensive clothes store. We also passed by Jess and Brian's new home...didn't stop in though because I wasn't 100 % sure and didn't have the address.

This woman was an inspiration to me...82 years old and running the 5 km. What was truly cool to watch was the group she was with joined her at the last turn in the race and crossed the finish line with her. Really, it brought tears to my eyes...what a great team and show of support to each other.
Me and Ang. Happy to be done...not quite warm yet but we've added extra layers already.

Yah Jaina! Ang and Jaina ran as a mother-daughter team. So proud of you both!


This was on our way to the race...please notice the rain on the window. We weren't too hopeful it would stop before the race started...and it didn't!
I really enjoyed this race. Not my usual running song, but there is something right about running along the river and listening to Mary G. Blige and Andrea Bocelli sing "Bridge Over Troubled Waters". Of course I ended with my go to song..."Paradise by a Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf, played really, really, loud!
Can't wait until next year!
Kaylani



2 comments:

Joanne said...

yay you! that in no way makes me want to run but the music sounds fabulous!! think I should use that tactic while in labour????

Kristi said...

good old sholdice park! yep, right by our old place. still love going to that quilting store. so nice!